Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 6

Today is a zero day.  Scattered showers expected.  Severe weather is expected for Tuesday and Wednesday so I will plan on staying put till Thursday morning.  Call me a whimp but I have no desire to hike in storms that I know are coming.  I am still recovering from dehydration and feel 100% better. I will send home every item that has not been used so far.  There is no sense in carting dead weight in my pack. I have met some interesting people.  A father and son from South Carolina hiking to Franklin NC.  The son is an insulin dependent diabetic.  A group of first time hikers.  Three hikers from New York.  One from Ohio.  One hiker who's parents grew up in Lincoln and another who's grandmother was from Sylacauga.  It just shows that we really do live in a small world. This is the closest I have come to a bear. 

I decided to stick with my tent and not buy a hammock.  I know I can stay dry in my tent in case I do get caught in the rain.  I bought a new sleeping pad to replace the one that will not stay inflated.  I did find out that the reason for the bear cannister rule was one bear that had figured out how to get the food bags from the bear hangs, but the local people also think he may be dead by now.  I also have a picture of one of the rodents occupying the shelter on top of the mountain but I can't post it at this time   More to come later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment