Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Garden 3

Okay, so now my garden is back under control.  Grass has now been removed and more rows have been planted.  You may be able to see some of the 300 million rocks that Amy and I have raked to the outer boundaries of the garden.  Every year once the ground is tilled I use the front-end loader on my Kubota tractor to haul rocks from the garden to the other side of the driveway.  Every time it rains, the rocks multiply so I need to remove them again and again.  These pictures are taken in the afternoon so the surrounding trees cast shadows.  Originally the front yard looked like the forest that you see in the background.  About 5 years ago I decided to remove a lot of trees so I could have this garden spot and I planted the fruit trees you see in the yard.  There are 2 plum trees, a peach tree, an apricot tree and two apple trees that have not grown very well.  This is the first year I have had fruit on the trees, but I am not sure they will mature.  On the right you can also see the magnolia tree that I planted when the kids were little. To the left of it is my scuppernong vines.  I planted 2 originally, but one died.  There are enough wild muscadines in the trees that pollinate my vine so I have an abundance of scuppernongs.  Back to the garden.  I planted everything too early since I was going to be hiking.  Some of the plants actually survived, but no row was complete.  Of course the grass grew well while I was on the trail and took over the garden.  In the bottom picture you can still see some grass in with the cucumbers.  Next week I will add a trellys so the cucumbers will grow up off the ground.  I do not have my irrigation system installed yet, but it is suppose to rain tomorrow so it can wait till next week.



This picture shows some of the beans and peas that sprouted.  All rows have been filled in with seeds and the plants should come out of the ground in the next couple of days.  My garden is a little smaller than I have had in the past, so I should be able to keep it up.  



My trellys system may need some explaining so once I get it set up I will post again.    








No comments:

Post a Comment