Monday, March 3, 2014

Day 6

Real eventfull day. Besides being totally exhausted and looking at one of the worst steep mountains ahead with only one liter of water, I decided to jump ahead to Neels Gap to Mountain Crossing a hostel and outfitters shop where they will give your pack a shakedown and ship home stuff that you don't need. The book Just Passing Thru is about this place. Result is now my pack is 10 pounds lighter. I decided also to stay in cabin for a couple of nights .  Temperature is in the mid 20's right now outside but toasty warm in this cabin. I am at Blood Mountain Cabins. Snow is in the forecast so the weather alone makes this stop worth it.  I should be able to get some much needed rest and dry out my tent. The tent shielded the rain so I was dry , but I had to pack it up in the rain and mud this morning so it is soaked. I am fixing to get a bath, the first since I started. My clothes smell so bad I almost can't sleep in the sleeping bag for the smell.  Laundry service is included with cabin rental.  Finally I just downed a whole pizza, 4 soft drinks and will drink a couple of liters of water before I go to bed. One of the keys to doing this hike is to not carry so much junk in your pack and to stay hydrated.  Those were the first 2 mistakes I made. I'm not sure how much farther I will get but not ready to quit.  I have met several hikers who have already given up including the man I hiked with yesterday. More to come later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment